Whether you like winter or prefer the warmer months in Cambridge, many of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a big impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Check weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your house warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it must be switched out. We advocate at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can fix temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The professionals at Pliescott HVAC Services LLC can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Pliescott HVAC Services LLC in Cambridge a call to begin. Give us a shout at 410-228-4822 or book an appointment with us online.