While winter weather seems like it’s already been around for far too long, its effect on our heating bill is just beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially lower those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To begin reducing your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to allow sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your current furnace is more than 15 years old.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Attempting to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a buzz at 410-228-4822. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Cambridge weather.