Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how frequently your air filter has been replaced, to name a handful—you may need to have air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask Pliescott HVAC Services LLC in Cambridge about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the period of time between professional cleanings.
First and foremost, setup routine HVAC maintenance with the experts at Pliescott HVAC Services LLC . A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating well, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at Pliescott HVAC Services LLC about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters routinely and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not need exchanging.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that let dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Cambridge home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Pliescott HVAC Services LLC a call at 410-228-4822.